At least 15 people have been shot dead in a bar in the South African township of Soweto, police say.

Police said gunmen entered the Orlando East tavern in the early hours of Sunday morning and started firing randomly at a group of young people.

They then fled the scene in a white minibus. No motive for the attack has been established, police said.

Reports say Several more people are in a critical condition in hospital, .

The victims are believed to be between 19 and 35 years old.

Gauteng province’s head of police, Lt-Gen Elias Mawela, told newsmen the shooting appears to have been “a cold-blooded attack on innocent tavern patrons”.

A press statement released by his office said the gunmen had been armed with rifles and 9mm pistols when they entered the bar.

Credit/BBC

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X