Eritrean troops have launched a full-scale offensive in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, a spokesman for the Tigrayan rebel group, the TPLF, has said.

A U.S envoy said the US was aware of Eritrean troops crossing into Tigray, and condemned it.

Eritrean and Ethiopian governments have not yet commented on the claims.

Conflict first broke out in November 2020 following a massive fallout between Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which controls the region.

On Tuesday, TPLF spokesman Getachew Reda said heavy fighting was taking place in several areas along the Tigray-Eritrea border.

 U.S envoy to the region, Mike Hammer, said the U.S had been tracking Eritrean troop movements across the border.

Thousands of people have been killed and millions have been displaced in the conflict.

Credit/BBC

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

X